Airbrush & Custompaint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about Clear coat

3 posters

Go down

Question about Clear coat Empty Question about Clear coat

Post by TuBe Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi there, I 'm wondering, do y'all clear coat all your work yourself?
A buddy of mine want his bike done and I think I have to clearcoat it when i am done, does anybody have a tip for me?

TuBe

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Question about Clear coat Empty Re: Question about Clear coat

Post by Paintguy Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:00 pm

practice. practice. !! if you dont have a decent setup it can be a nightmare. best thing to do im my opinion is buddy up with a local body shop that do custom work. they can clear it alot faster and with less headaches then you can. at least until you get setup and some practice. my first job was a mess. the artwork was great, but the clear killed the job. i would practice on junk pieces before i take on an actual job (clearing) for someone. just my opinion, i went through the headaches of having to have someone fix my mistakes before..lol

but..if u are the adventurous type, go for it..!
Paintguy
Paintguy

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.uptowngrafx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brush Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:19 am

Thats good advise Paintguy. TuBe, if you decide to do it yourself, let us know and we can help with some tips that will keep you from making some of the mistakes we made.
Brush
Brush

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-05-03

http://www.dndgraphx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TuBe Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:53 am

Actually, I have everything to do it myself (except for the paint) so there is nothing holding me back....

TuBe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brush Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:02 am

Good, then lets do it. What I have been doing is after I mix my clear and hardener real well I add about 25 precent reducer. You will have to spray faster to keep from running and put on 5 coats instead of 4. Use a little more air pressure and be sure to give your clear what ever time it recommends between coats or it will solvent pot. It is better to put on lighter coats than heavy ones to avoid orange peel. Don't dry spray it but don't hose it on either. I don't know where your spraying at, if it's clean or not, so hose down the floor and keep it wet to minamize dust. Clear seems to create a static charge which will draw everything in the air to it. Where a paint suit if you can, there cheap, if not blow the dust off yourself before each coat. You would be suprised how much stuff comes off of your clothes. If you are clearing over a dark color wear something dark, if a light color wear something light. That way if lint comes of you it won't show as well. Good luck and show some pictures when done.
Brush
Brush

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-05-03

http://www.dndgraphx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TuBe Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:38 am

Thanks Very Happy! thats the kind of info I was looking for. When its done, I will post some pics.

TuBe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down